The College of Social and Behavioral Science (CSBS, www.csbs.utah.edu) seeks an experienced, enthusiastic, and energetic development professional to oversee the development program within the college. The Director will develop goals and strategies for fundraising campaigns and build a strong base of college supporters (individuals, corporations, and foundations) and work with the Dean, faculty, and staff as well as the Advancement Office to identify philanthropic needs and increase external support for the College mission. In addition, this role will be expected to maintain an active portfolio of the CSBS largest donors and benefactors and make major gift solicitations. This position reports dually to the Dean and the Chief Philanthropy Officer for the Campus.
The CSBS has as its mission to “Inspire Human Solutions to Life’s Challenges.” As we work toward tacking today’s challenges (e.g., mental health and suicide risk, climate change, income inequality) we celebrate the diversity of the experiences of our students, faculty, and staff, the range of disciplines represented in the college, and the variety of places where our alumni go after finishing their degrees. The CSBS and University Advancement are deeply committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We embrace this commitment to grow and maintain a diverse, safe, and inclusive workplace culture for all employees in Advancement. With an increasingly diverse population of alumni and donors, we recognize that nationally the most successful advancement programs employ individuals who can connect with these diverse communities and understand approaches that mirror a broad perspective of cultures, values, and experiences. We highly encourage applications from historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, persons who have served in the military, and others who would bring additional dimensions of education and experience to our team.
- Work with the Dean and faculty to develop short- and long-term fundraising goals for the college and to develop case- and project-statements that may be used in grant proposals and solicitations;
- Develop and execute a strategic plan for the annual fund, focusing on alumni of the college using university advancement data;
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit individual and major gifts, with a strategic focus on building a donor pipeline from the pool of annual donors;
- Work with the major gifts officer and development specialist in the college to meet metrics of major gift solicitations and annual scholarship goals;
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of high net worth individuals and priority organization prospects and secure major and campaign gifts and perform to or exceed agreed upon metrics
- Build authentic relationships internally and externally, engaging in candid conversations about Equity Diversity, and Inclusion to ensure services reflect the CSBS mission, alumni and community needs.
- Support the Dean with solicitation strategies;
- Write major gift and grant proposals for individual, corporate, and foundation solicitations;
- Develop and manage a comprehensive donor stewardship program that includes acknowledgment, recognition, report writing (including endowment reports), and overseeing an annual calendar of stewardship and recognition events;
- With the Dean, coordinate the work of the CSBS Advancement Board;
- Establish a legacy giving program for the College;
- Coordinate college philanthropy with the University’s Advancement Office with respect to prospect management, research, gift agreements, gift processing, legacy giving, annual fund, etc., working closely with the Chief Philanthropy Officer for Campus;
- Manage the development activities of the College’s Major Gift Officer, Development Specialist and other designated staff members responsible for assisting the Development Director (e.g., assist with qualification and solicitation strategy, provide directions for organizing events, maintain College development files, manage crowd-funding campaigns, run development-related reports, write and print acknowledgment letters, and other duties as assigned);
- Partner with the College’s Marketing and Communications Specialist to ensure the College’s philanthropy needs are met through annual reports, appeals, and other advancement communications;
- Plan and manage development team budget;
- Ensure gifts are reconciled between the College, Advancement, and Director of Finance;
Travel may be required. Candidates must be willing to travel in their work with donors and as a representative of the University of Utah and the CSBS.